Old 08-12-2005, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Moving blackcuurent bushes

The Reid wrote:
They are well established but I need to move them to a place I
can put a fruit cage, will they be tough to dig up and when best
time. Now (when its not frosty)? Or nearer spring?

Cuttings take very easily and begin to fruit very early in their lives,
so unless you're short of space, I'd suggest leaving the present bushes
where they are and putting cuttings in the new position. The ones I
planted 3 years ago are now giving more fruit than their much larger
10-year old parents (probably I'm not pruning them right). You can
plant the cuttings closer together than you would mature bushes to
maximise the yield in the early years and remove some later.

Chris