Old 10-02-2003, 12:58 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default Bare rooted trees

The message
from "Trevor Appleton" contains
these words:

I have heard that February is a good time to plant bare rooted deciduous

...well yes according to all the gardening press, but I visit dozens of
garden centres/nuseries, the only bare rooted anythings I've seen were roses
at Endsleigh in S Devon a few years ago. Do such things (bare rootes shrubs)
really exist anymore?

Yes, tree nurseries that do mail order often sell bareroot trees and
hedging shrubs. Try Buckinghams, or any forestry suppliers. Prices start
at just pence per plant. Many GC's sell bundles of bare-root hedging
plants, but usually in late autumn.

November would be a better time to plant bare-root trees /shrubs imho,
but with some varieties and locations you can get away with it up to
March.

Janet.