Old 09-12-2005, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Aspasia

Default Merry Christmas (OT)

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 04:01:14 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:

"Chuckie" wrote in message
oups.com...

I am tired of everyone being afraid of saying Merry Christmas

[..]

You and those who share your opinion must have a lot of influence!
News reports state that outbursts demanding use of the term
"Christmas" forced, e.g. Target to change its holiday advertising to a
more "Christian" slant. No doubt other retailers are
facing a similar campaign.

It took decades -- literally! -- to get retailers to tacitly
acknowledge that other religions/belief systems also
celebrate the return of the sun, by whatever name they call it.

Personally, I think that these "Christian" pressure groups --
perhaps the same who constitute Bush's "base"? --
aren't acting very Christian or very American.

"My way or the highway"? That's toleration, diversity,
respect for the other? That's the American way?

I don't think so!

Persephone

--

"While all other sciences have advanced,
government is a standstill -- little better