Old 10-02-2003, 05:37 AM
M. Nicholson

Default Suitability of "Taxus baccata"

Hello. I am hunting for information regarding Taxus baccata (English
Yew). I wish to plant one in my garden.

How fast do they grow? I've heared that they are slow growers (if
this information is correct, then how many inches per year?), and will
the Australian Climate in which I live (New South Wales South Coast)
affect it's growth rate at all?

Are they heat tolerant? Can they handle drought? Do they have to
have a well-drained soil?

What sort of situation are they used to in England (I'm not close to
the coastline, further inland)? Acidic/Alkaline soil?

I'm sorry to bombard you with questions like this, but I'd really like
the plant I grow to have a good chance of surviving, and any help
would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sincerely,

M. Nicholson