Old 09-12-2005, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider

Default Potting roses

Sacha wrote in message
.uk...
On 8/12/05 20:10, in article ,
"Padger" wrote:

I have ordered some new roses both HT & floribunda but wont have the

ground
prepared in time so thought I might pot up the (bare rooted) plants when
they arrive and plant them in the spring when hopefully the ground will

be
ready.
I thought 9" - 10" pots using JI 3 would do but would appreciate any
comments on procedure etc.

Any reason you couldn't dig a trench and heel them in until you're ready

plant them?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sacha's idea is best if it can be managed. I have, however, potted up a
bare root rose plant (for a busy friend) and it was very successful.
However, I think you may need a bigger, deeper pot than 9-10 ins. The main
roots these plants carry can be quite long and rigid. You need to
accommodate them, not force or bend them into a lesser pot. As it happened,
the rose I potted up for my friend was for her to give to another friend
(her boss) who was moving house so, in that particular case, it was far
better to pot it up.

All the same, heel it in if you can.
Spider