Old 09-12-2005, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

Default Gaillardia sprawling

Persephone wrote in message

How can I keep it from sprawling?

It bears flowers profusely, so I don't want to upset it
by excessive cutback. Or would I?

First time I've had this plant; reseeds like crazy!

Don't know if it likes to sprawl, or what?

I went to http://www.floridata.com/ref/G/gaillad.cfm
but didn't find anything specific about sprawling.

Anybody with experience give me feedback?

I can't get the stuff to grow!
In general, when perennials sprawl, you should cut back on the fertilizer.
Also, I find that cutting back perennials is a good thing. Some things
respond well to being cut back early, before they bloom. The plants stay
more compact and the bloom time is delayed, which helps prolong color in the
garden. Other plants can be cut back after they bloom when they tend to
deteriorate anyway. They often come back more compact and bloom again.