Old 09-02-2003, 11:51 AM
Charlie Pridham

Default Ceanothus for hedging?

"Adrian Stanley" wrote in message
I'd certainly check out Trewithen Blue, as I'm looking for a variety with

spreading habit, and good coverage. The exact shade of blue is not so
important, as long as it gives a good display at the appropriate time of
year. I don't plan on having to prune it back too much.

Trewithen Blue is a good clone of C. arborea and is not a good hedging plant
if you are going to leave it to do its own thing, mine (I have 3) are 20-25'
high and across, when I prune I use a chain saw, the main trunks are 12"
across.
They can however unlike most ceanothus be cut back hard into old wood (hence
the recomendation)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk