Old 10-12-2005, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Default Doritis Potting Medium?

Some people can grow in peat-based mixes ("mud"); I can't even show that
stuff to my plants.

There are many things you could use, which would be best depends on your
humidity and your watering habits. If your humidity is very low and you
don't like to water frequently, the mud might work for you. But I think
coco-chips or bark would probably be a more forgiving choice. If you find
it dries out too fast for your watering schedule, you can layer in some
sphagnum to hold moisture longer. Kenni

"Rob" wrote in message
sandra wrote:
Hi Everyone, I ordered a few doritis from a retailer a few days ago, I
just wanted to know what kind of medium they thrive in....I heard they
don't do well in overly-moist mediums.
Anyone got any input?
-Sandra

I have a big one growing in a basket... But they seem to do fine for me
in almost anything, including peat based mixes.

Somebody will no doubt correct me, but I think in their habitat they grow
terrestrially in sand. And no doubt in other places. They seem to be
adaptable.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1