Old 10-12-2005, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Figs--Tell me how--Please

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In message , Rupert writes

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
.. .
The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

I have had a potted fig for many years. This year 2 figs and they were
superb (the first ever, apart from fruitlets) . How do I make it more
productive in West Yorkshire?

Kay has a productive fig in Leeds, iirc. If she doesn't pop up, try

Janet

Kay Easton lives within a few miles of here and we both agree that our
gardening conditions are similar --so thanks for the info.

I guess I had better respond, then!
I made my fig more productive by taking it out of its pot and planting it
in the ground - but that was quite possibly because I found it hard in the
greenhouse to keep it free of red spider.

It's in the middle of a south facing terrace which is quite a sun trap. I
haven't got the roots restricted, but reckoned the poor quality of soil
under the terrace slabs was the next best thing.

I don't know how productive it is in real terms - it's now about 4 ft
across and had about 25 figs this year, which is not a high density. But
because it's trouble free (I don't pay it any attention) and it's not
getting in the way of anything else, I'm not fussed. 25 beautiful figs
picked an eaten straight from the tree has got to be good.

--
Kay Easton

Thanks that gives me hope of at least five figs next year