Old 10-12-2005, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default raised beds

In article .com,
"BenGman" wrote:

how high should my raised beds be? I have really crappy soil and i've
decided that i will be growing my tomatoes, carrots, and snap peas in a
raised bed. Now, i don't know deep the roots will grow, but i need to
know how deep to make the bed.
If I can't make the bed high enough, what kinds of supplements should i
put in my soil? I live in the Bay Area, California and my soil is
sorta rocky and has lots of clay. What should i put in it to be
nutritious for my plants?

We did raised beds in California up in the mountains where the soil was
mostly decomposed granite. ;-)

We found around 12" or so to be enough.....

Good luck!
--
Om.