Old 10-12-2005, 07:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jon Shemitz

Default raised beds

BenGman wrote:

how high should my raised beds be? I have really crappy soil and i've
decided that i will be growing my tomatoes, carrots, and snap peas in a
raised bed. Now, i don't know deep the roots will grow, but i need to
know how deep to make the bed.

Tomatoes and peas don't have incredibly deep roots - obviously,
carrots are another story. My beds are only about 9", but that's more
for drainage than anything else.

If I can't make the bed high enough, what kinds of supplements should i
put in my soil? I live in the Bay Area, California and my soil is
sorta rocky and has lots of clay. What should i put in it to be
nutritious for my plants?

Hey, it's the same as anywhe Lots of organic matter. Loosens clay,
feeds sand. Get a garden supply place to dump a cubic yard or so of
mushroom compost on your driveway, and turn it in, along with some
steer manure. It'll make a huge difference. Compost everything you can
and turn it in every spring, along with more steer manure, and after a
few years you'll have nice light soil that doesn't clump and is full
of nutrients.

--
http://www.midnightbeach.com