Old 10-02-2003, 11:34 AM
Druss

Default Greenhouse heater problem

"Andy" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 08:06:30 -0000, "Druss" wrote:

"david" wrote in message
I should think you have the wick up to height. light the wick then

check
on
it after about 10 mins, the flame tends to get larger as the stove

warms
up,
you want a nice BLUE flame with no sign of yellow.
I used to be able to trim the wicks just once a week, and I had 6

double
burner stoves burning , sometimes 24 hours a day if it was cold.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Is this for parrafin burning, I mean the blue flame bit, because nothing

do to mine will ever make it burn blue, the wicks have been trimed, and

nice
fresh parrafin and then the wicks can be turned down after five minutes

of
burning and they will go out before they burn blue.
Duncan

Yellow flame = incomplete combustion = carbon particles + carbon
monoxide. Remember Bunsen burners at school? When you closed the
little vent the flame would turn yellow. You have to increase the
oxygen supply. Make sure any vents aren't blocked/closed or fit some
sort of chimney to increase the air flow.

Andy

Yea I remember the bunsen burner stuff, but would have thought that some
materials simply burn at a different colour, anyway, the heater in question
is almost new, well new this year, it's got it's chimney's fitted, the only
vent are below the wick and seem fine, and sits in the middle of the 8x6ft
greenhouse. I can't really increase the oxygen supply without leaving a door
open, and that would kinda defeat the object of the heater wouldn't it ?

Ho hum, I can feel some experimenting coming on, have to play with the
heater some more I guess, see if I can make it produce a blue flame.

Duncan