Old 10-12-2005, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default swampy garden

bettyday wrote:
my smallish garden is sloped towards the house and gets like a bog
when it rains. how do I build in some drains for it ?

This sounds to me like a case for consulting a professional on the
spot. But one fine professional has a website at:
http://www.pavingexpert.com/

If you click that, and enter "drainage" in his search window, you'll
find good stuff.

I imagine you've already checked to see if there is an existing drain
which has got blocked, or covered up by previous work.

The two problems to confront with drainage are stopping the stuff
getting in -- as with field drains -- and where to send it once it's
got in. In built-up areas these can both be very difficult.

You may find that raising the overall level helps, as long as that
doesn't bring water into contact with the house walls near or above
the damp-proof course. Likely to be a big job. Sometimes installing a
pond with a hard surround such as paving will make the soggy
situation into a pleasant one.

--
Mike.