Old 10-02-2003, 12:38 PM
dave @ stejonda

Default maintenance free garden?

In message JuM1a.552$DT1.51259@newsfep2-gui, Dave Arthuro
writes
As garden lovers you are going to kill me for asking this question! I am
purchasing a house with a small back lawn and some side plants. I really
have no interest in gardening Is it possible to have plants and grass
that require little or no intervention?

My neighbours said they were not into gardening when they arrived. The
proceeded to cover the back garden, which the previous owner had
cultivated for years as a vegetable patch to feed his family, with
concrete. They then sectioned the garden into thirds and have put down
paving stones nearest the house. At the far end they scattered a thin
layer of wood chippings and installed playground equipment. In the
central area they have made a patchwork pattern of paving stones,
various coloured pebbles (orange, turquoise etc.) and wood chippings.

I all looked quite impressive ... for a few days.

The paving stones have now turned patchily green with moss and plants
and grasses have started to grow in amongst the pebbles and chippings.
Nature is re-asserting itself.

A lawn doesn't need much tending as long as you don't feed it much and
borders can be planted with slow-growing shrubs.

--
dave @ stejonda

Alternative Global News : http://commondreams.org//