Old 10-12-2005, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Bird Seed Feeder OT

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:
In message , Mike Lyle
writes
Sue wrote:
[...]
They used to have a big shop in Magdalen Street,

[...]

OT, but out of curiosity, is that pronounced as written, or in the
Oxbridge "Maudlin" way?

Pronounced locally as written.

I say 'Maudlin' but it could be pronounced as written. I don't think it
makes any difference how you pronounce it as long as people understand
you. There are enough people in this world who think they are better
than others because they were born with a bit of money and land that
their ancestors stole from Jo Public hundreds of years ago.

That's rather an esoteric aside, isn't it?

Incidentally, Wymondham is pronounced 'Windham', although Wymondham in
Leics (I think that's where it is) is pronounced as written.

Yes, but then Norkies have a habit of confusing the rest of the world -
cue Stiffkey, Happisburgh, Tacolneston, Costessy and others.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig