Old 10-02-2003, 01:42 PM
Sharon Curtis

Default maintenance free garden?

In article JuM1a.552$DT1.51259@newsfep2-gui,
Dave Arthuro wrote:
As garden lovers you are going to kill me for asking this question!

Not at all. It's far better that someone think about it and try and
sort out something that suits their willingness to maintain, rather than
just let a garden be a wild weed/dandelion seed factory to upset all
the neighbour gardeners!

I am
purchasing a house with a small back lawn and some side plants. I really
have no interest in gardening Is it possible to have plants and grass
that require little or no intervention?

No intervention? No.
Little intervention? Yes, but it'll take some effort to set it up
like that in the first place.

If you have a lawn, if you want it to look like a lawn, rather than
a wilderness that the neighbourhood cats love to poo in, then it
does require regular mowing. No two ways about it.

If you have hard landscaping, that requires occasional cleaning,
frequency depending on whether you actually do anything in the garden
like walk around on the paths.

What you can do is shrubs and perennials that require very little
attention on your part. For shrubs, pick slow-growing ones (look at
some of the conifers available, e.g.) The slower-growing, the better,
as they won't want pruning too often and you can leave them to get
on with it. If you plant the perennials densely enough amongst
the shrubs, weeding should be kept to a very low quantity per year.

Sharon