Old 10-12-2005, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dwayne

Default raised beds

I make a mix of top soil, sand, and compost to fill in my raised beds. I
make mine only high enough to get them off the ground 8 to 10 inches, and
still be able to get my tiller up into it. I raise onions, asparagus,
carrots, squash Japanese radishes, and sweet potatoes.

I have a friend who always puts any grass he mows in his garden area. He
lays it between the rows of veggies to keep weeds down and moisture in.
Then during the fall after the garden is done, he plows/roto-tills it all
together. He can grow the biggest butternut squash I have ever seen.

Dwayne

"BenGman" wrote in message
oups.com...
how high should my raised beds be? I have really crappy soil and i've
decided that i will be growing my tomatoes, carrots, and snap peas in a
raised bed. Now, i don't know deep the roots will grow, but i need to
know how deep to make the bed.
If I can't make the bed high enough, what kinds of supplements should i
put in my soil? I live in the Bay Area, California and my soil is
sorta rocky and has lots of clay. What should i put in it to be
nutritious for my plants?