Old 10-12-2005, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Bird Seed Feeder OT

On 10/12/05 17:26, in article
, "Rusty Hinge 2"
wrote:

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Pronunciations are a very local matter usually, aren't they? And of course,
the pronunciation of plant names seems to be a very personal one, too.
We've often had 'debates' on here about how people pronounce different
things. My old name used to be Villiers, and the last 'i' is never
pronounced but in South Africa, where there are a lot of people of that
name, it always is! My husband had great fun trying to find Kirkcudbright
when he was pronouncing it as it is spelled. And someone has just kindly
sent us some Crocosmia called 'Culzean Pink'. How was I to know that it's
first name is pronounced 'Killhane'!

Ah, but if you'd known a Menzies or a Dalziel you might have been more wary...

I know a Menzies but being a trusting soul, I took Culzean at its face
value.

Kirkcudbright is logical if you apply the usual local pronunciation of
Kirk and Bright, so that really doesn't count.

It does if you've never been near the place and have no idea of local
pronunciation!

However, there are two
placenames which often do confuse, namely, Milngavie and Wogahamsel.

Gold star for the first person to identify the latter!

No idea but I'm guessing it's something like Woemsel!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk