Old 10-02-2003, 02:06 PM
Martin Sykes

Default maintenance free garden?

"Dave Arthuro" wrote in message
news:JuM1a.552$DT1.51259@newsfep2-gui...
As garden lovers you are going to kill me for asking this question! I am
purchasing a house with a small back lawn and some side plants. I really
have no interest in gardening Is it possible to have plants and grass
that require little or no intervention?

Hi Dave,

The key to low maintenance gardening is to understand what your natural
conditions are and work with them. That way you're not battling against
nature all the time. If you want to take the time to read up and plan it all
carefully then look up information on 'permaculture' which is essentially
about building an system that will run itself as much as possible. It does
take a bit of thinking about though.

Apart from that, the best advice is probably to read the labels on the
plants you buy. That will cut down on pruning excessive growth, feeding
plants with special needs and sweeping up leaves from deciduous plants. Also
try and get the wildlife in to control your pests although if you're in a
new development then almost every one of your neighbours will have a cat
which makes life difficult.

If your lawn is small enough and is not going to get much heavy traffic
then you might want to consider a chamomile lawn or something simiilar. I've
never done one myself but I understand they are much lower maintenance.

Martin.