Old 10-02-2003, 02:18 PM
Martin Sykes

Default shady & wet

"Jap" wrote in message
In the far corner of my garden it is shady & wet (large trees behind

garden,
no sunshine), the soil is clay and my lawn has died (due to the wet?) Has
anybody got any ideas how to help my grass to grow?

What if I where to plant some thirsty plants in the area, would this help?

I doubt you'ld find anything as thirsty as the large trees that are casting
the shade :-) A corner of my lawn regularly gets an inch of water sitting on
it but the grass is growing fine ( it's just a normal mix) so it's probably
the shade that is doing the damage. You could buy a special shade tolerant
grass and re-seed the area but your best bet is probably to put some plants
there instead. If you want to use the water as well then a bog area might be
good. Apparently Gunnera manicata will grow *really* huge if planted in the
shade.

In the wettest part of mine I removed the turf ( because although it was
growing I didn't have much use for a sodden, muddy area ) and then raised
the soil level a bit and planted with shrubs.

Martin.