Old 11-12-2005, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Bird Seed Feeder OT

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

Ray, who is an Essex
man always laughs about 'posh' people who live in Theydon Bois
because they
insist on pronouncing 'bois' in the French manner. It is pronounced
'boys'
by Essex people!

This is true, and illustrates the adage that a little knowledge is a
dangerous thing. I was (largely) brought up in Essex, and there was a
Theydon Boy in my class. A lot of the placenames there have 'local'
pronunciations - the Rodings, for instance. I've never heard the River
Roding pronounced any way but how it's spelt, thobut the villages are
pronounced 'White Roothing', 'Abbots Roothing', 'High Roothing', 'Leaden
Roothing', and all are spelt '* Roding'...

How strange. We lived on the Herts Essex border for nigh on twenty
years and no-one called them 'Roothing'. Perhaps everyone was an
incomer. Just goes to show.

They were well-known as 'Roothing' when I was an anklebiter in Ye Olden
Dayes, and incomers were a rare novelty.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig