Old 11-12-2005, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default General questions about freshwater plants

I am going to set up a plant tank ... or at least a tank with as many
plants as possible. I would like to keep a few fish in it to produce
some nitrates for the plants. What fish are plant friendly? (I was
thinking about some neon terta, a beta, and maybe some of the aquatic
frogs ... not sure what the real name for them are, but they are small
and spend 100% of their time under water. I also would like to know
what scavenger I can get for the bottom that will get the extra/hidden
fish food at the bottom of the tank.)

For the substrate, is fluorite necessary? Or what ratio of
gravel/fluorite will I need? I intend on doing this in a 10-gallon
aquarium. Is an undergravel filter good or bad when the tank is heavily
stocked with plants? Will a 40-watt soft white light due for green
plants, or will it require a fluorescent light (I can get a clip-on
desk lamp for $6, or I can get a fluorescent hood for $30. I want to
know if I can get away with the desk lamp.)?

Any info at all will help greatly. I am trying to learn as much as
possible before actually setting this tank up. I would like to learn
about water supplements, substrate, lighting, filtration, what plant
species are neat, and other general info.

I was thinking about getting the 30 gallon plant pack from
liveaquaria.com:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...fm?pCatId=2146 . I
have other tanks I can put plants in so if there are too many plants
that is not a big deal. A general opinion of the variety would be
appreciated.

(I am a college student so money is certainly a consideration ... I do
have money, but would like to spend as little as possible to set this
up successfully)

Thanks
Ed K.