Old 12-12-2005, 12:25 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage

Default newbie with a carrot question!

Jacko writes:
hours for 2 minutes, and keep your carrots moist. I was having the same
problems before that. I is reasonable to suggest that as carrots are
grown near the surface, the surface dries out, as do the carrots seeds.

The best time to plant carrot seed is at the start of a week of showery
weather. Difficult to arrange, I know.

PS BUNNINGS now sell carrots in punnets. Er would love to know what fool
ordered them and if when transplant time comes around, how many days
you need to actually transplant them. By the time they sell they may be
fully grown.

When I tried transplanting carrots they all developed forked roots instead
of a solid taproot, so I recommend that carrots never be transplanted.
Whenever I see carrot seedlings in punnets I assume that the nurserymen
are catering for those people who want to grow carrot tops to feed pet
rabbits or guinea pigs. :-) While owners can always buy carrot roots from
the supermarket to feed pets, they cannot so easily obtain fresh green
carrot tops. Transplanted carrots grow lush tops, but almost no sizeable
roots, IME.