Old 11-12-2005, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

Default beard alage

"§tudz" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a bad case of beard alage in my planted tank.
I've read on the net it doesn't mean my water is bad, and it says a SAE
would help, I don't have room for an SAE.

I already have 4 octos and a CAE, would using a chemical algae killer
work? or would this kill my plants as well?

I've used the bleach method of dipping but it just comes back.

any further help?

§tudz

Flourish Excel (carbon supplement) seems to be the one fix I've seen
recommended, also higher CO2 levels are supposed to help. My BBA seemed to
thrive when I started dosing Phosphates, but the plants are growing like
crazy, so I can't complain. I've increased my CO2 levels to about 35 PPM
and the BBA seems to be in check. My Otos don't touch BBA, but they may
prefer the GSA (Green Spot Algae). I'll be adding some SAEs in a few days,
I'm hoping they will turn the tide. Give your CAE a chance.