Old 12-12-2005, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Cornus alba light requirements?

In article ,
Duncan wrote:
Could anyone advise on this, please? I have a place in the garden where I
think one of the Cornus alba varieties might look good in winter, but the
plot gets no sun from September to March. Would this plant tolerate this, as
I'd need to put in several plants?

If it is reasonably light in spring and autumn, I would give it a
go. If it is really gloomy, very little will do well. Remember
that, in the UK, half of the light is indirect (and three quarters
is in winter). Sun, as such, is primarily a summer phenomenon :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.