Old 13-12-2005, 06:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default help with a sick laelia gouldiana!

thanks for all the wonderful advice! The bulbs did turn that way fairly
quickly, which was the initial cause for concern. id say the 1st one
over about a week, and the second several days after. The leaves also
have a tiny bit of brown at the tips (sun burn?) and one or two little
black spots (natural defect or cause for concern?)

If I did want to remove one of the old pseudo bulbs to check for
fusarium, how would I do that? At what point do you cut it off and what
sort of imnplement is onvolved in teh procedure? Also, by cross
section, do you mean cutting to yield circular slices (ie horizontal
cuts to see the rings) or lengthwise? What is fusarium and how is it
treated?

Also, are the pseudobulbs pretty much done for is is there hope of
rejuvenation (probably a silly question, but again, I'm just learning!)

A last question... the dry looking sheath around the healthy, green
pseudobulb... what is that?

thanks so much!
sarah