Old 13-12-2005, 03:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J

Default Christmas tree problem... HELP!

Did you get the tree from a reliable dealer? Many trees are sprayed
with a chemical this time of year and if stolen and used inside a
heated building, gives off unpleasant odors.

Tom J

"chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a Frazier Fur that we put up just after Thanksgiving. There
is
an odor coming from the water in the stand that is very much like
vomit. I'm not kidding.

It hasn't permiated the house but it is definitely noticeable. We
are
using Peter's Christmas Tree Preservative in the water. I'm sure
that
there is some bacteria or mold now feeding on the preservative.
We've
quit using the preservative and the tree is now on a diet of regular
water but the odor persists. Is there something I can put in the
water
that will kill everything in there except the tree? Vinegar maybe?
Any ideas short of taking the tree down and starting over?

Chris