Old 14-12-2005, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

Default early lettuce

"Dennis Edward" wrote in message
FYI: west coast, zone 8, pretty much a newbie.

I want to grow lettuce and maybe some other early cold-season crops this
year, but I'm a little unclear on how it goes. I've been told that lettuce
seeds need to be refrigerated for 24 hrs to "trigger" them, but I've also
been told that they should be started indoors. So, do I refrigerate them,
then put them in trays indoors until they sprout, then plant them outside?
Any limit on temp? Will frost kill lettuce seedlings? If so, how early can

really do this? Will a frame-and-plastic-tarp setup help significantly?

In Zone 7, I start my seeds indoors straight from the package under lights
three weeks before I want to set them out. The normal date for putting them
in the gardern is three weeks before the average last frost date.