Old 14-12-2005, 07:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
madgardener

Default Planting bulbs on a late Winter's afternoon (this is rather long, so be warned.....it's been awhile)

"PammyT" wrote in message

"madgardener" wrote in message
I had come into a mother lode of discarded bulbs behind a Lowes last
week,

What is a lowes?

hmmmmmmmm, it's kinda a super store home improvement place. They have a full
lumber section with everything you'd need, including Commercial sales for
houses and such. nails, all that sort. cement. etc, then there's a flooring
section, rugs, tiles, linoleum, etc. a home decorating department,
wallpaper, paint department, curtains, draperies, appliances of all sorts,
plumbing, a light fixture section with bulbs and all that sort, a complete
tool section, organizational section with things to organize with, then a
fireplace/lawnmower/small tractor/section that is seasonal in that they have
chain saws, tillers, fertilzers, insecticides, a section for pool stuff,
then the outside garden center that has fencing, a few dog kennels, paving
stuff for walls and stepping stones, corregated pipe for draining, trees,
shrubs, bags of soils, rocks, peat moss, compost, manure. perennials,
annuals, tropicals (the one I used to work at had a full greenhouse where
the tropicals winter) cacti, succulents, landscape timbers, railroad ties,
composit timbers and decking,then on the end of the greenhouse is where the
patio furniture and cushions are. Outside are outbuildings and whatnot.

It's like kinda but not quite a Home Depot (which is like Lowes, only their
color for their stores is orange, where Lowes is Red and Blue.......and
there's always a price war going on with Lowes and Depot. It's kinda fun,
in a way, except when it gets stupid...............same job politics
sometimes. but I always enjoyed working in the garden center. I got
disgusted a year and a half into the job with their not having enough strong
backed young loaders (I'm 52 and incapable of lifting more than two or three
railroad ties before my back tells me to go to hell) about the time they
started cutting part time hours severely to save money and put money in the
managers purses, and after a particularly horrendous day, I put in for cash
register, and the manager decided to "get even" with me by putting me in the
lumber department on the opposite side of the store (like being miles away
from my plants) but the customers still found me and for some
reason...........some refused to shop the garden center when they couldn't
find me......hmmmmmm was that because I was so informative and helpful??
could be! LOL but I left in April when my conflicting schedules started
showing on my health in the long drives. I am and was putting in 860 miles a
week to get my son to work, and it was just easier to quit and just take him
until he reinstates his license. (that's the Cliff note version, as short
as I can make it) hope this helps clear that mystery up. I have no idea what
compares to Lowes or Home Depot over there, but enlighten me. I'm always
curious.......g
madgardener