Old 14-12-2005, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default How much should a gardener cost?

amended:

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Phil L wrote:
Mike wrote:
That's both of you net nanny owners of this newsgroup had a go now.
Just what is the matter with the pair of you that you BOTH have to
'Have a go' at both the poster and Garden banter?

I don't think anyone had a go at the OP, just gardenbanter, which is
surreptitiously using our postings to gain income,
(if you ever visit that hideous place you will see the adverts littered
around all over the website for which he gets an income) and I alos

don't
agree with my ramblings being placed on a website which doesn't have my
permission, where does it end?

Out of curiosity, I've just had a look at gardenbanter - I can't
see intrusive ads,

Having just had a look, like all the banters sites its
used for harvesting email addresses from particular interest
groups.

You need a password to post, for which you need to give them a valid
email address. Most newbies won't think twice and will end up getting
inundated with spam.

and AFAIK there's no reason that posts from
u.r.g shouldn't be incorporated into such a venture. The newsfeed
seems to be complete for u.r.g, as well - it's even got anti-G.B.
posts from "Sacha" and "Janet Baraclough" as well as your comments.
While I don't think I'd particularly enjoy using their interface,
I can't see a big problem with it.

That isn't the problem.

The problem is that posts show up on here from people posting in
Gardenbanter, who are totally unaware of Usenet or NewsGroups,
at all, and who are often responding to messages in Gardenbanter
which don't even show up on here.

After a while, as you may imagine it can get a bit wearing.

One basic assumption about NewsGroups is that most people who post
will get the hang of things by first reading the NewsGroup for a
while. Many of the posts from Gardenbanter are from total newbies
attracted to their website for some reason, who don't really have
a clue. And it's not the role of NewsGroups to have to put them
straight as to how the Banter websites work - "Gardenbanter" isn't
the only one you'll be pleased to know - and their relation to
Usenet and NewsGroups. That should be the job of the Banter
sites.
And because they're from newbies, its impossible to killfile
all their posts in advance. Allegedly.

michael adams