Old 14-12-2005, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
KStringer

Default General questions about freshwater plants

I am going to set up a plant tank ... or at least a tank with as many
plants as possible. I would like to keep a few fish in it to produce
some nitrates for the plants. What fish are plant friendly? (I was
thinking about some neon terta, a beta, and maybe some of the aquatic
frogs ... not sure what the real name for them are, but they are small
and spend 100% of their time under water. I also would like to know
what scavenger I can get for the bottom that will get the extra/hidden
fish food at the bottom of the tank.)

Don't get the dwaf african clawed frogs. They are great, but should be
kept in a species only tank as they cannot compete with other fish very
well for food unless you are planning on feeding live food every other
day or so.

I have a 180 gallon planted tank and I recommend the following fish:
Danios
Tetras (pretty much any type)
Cory Catfish
Ornamental Plecos (The kind that get only to 4 inches, not the common
pleco which can get to 18 inches)
Depending on your fish type, some ghost shrimp are also good for
cleaning the substrate.
Kuhli Loaches are great for mixing up the top inch or so of substrate,
but since this is only a 10 gallon tank, I would not recommend them.

For the substrate, is fluorite necessary? Or what ratio of

gravel/fluorite will I need? I intend on doing this in a 10-gallon
aquarium. Is an undergravel filter good or bad when the tank is heavily

stocked with plants? Will a 40-watt soft white light due for green
plants, or will it require a fluorescent light (I can get a clip-on
desk lamp for $6, or I can get a fluorescent hood for $30. I want to
know if I can get away with the desk lamp.)?

If you want long term success without having to constantly dose liquid
fertlizers, then Flourite or a substrate mixed with Laterite would be a
really good idea.

Just say no to the undergravel filter. Imagine when you have to clean
it, how would you pull it up, clean it, and replace it without a
massive overhaul of your substrate and all of the plants rooted in it?

If it's a 10 gallong tank go with something simple like a Whisper HOB
filter or even a sponge filter. I would recommend the HOB filter to
provide some current in the tank.

Definately get the flourescent light. Everything everyone else has said
on lighting is absolutely true. With small tanks like yours, you should
be looking at 3-4 Watts per Gallon (from what I understand, though I
don't know why this is) of Flourescent light.

Some good plants to start with would be Anubias, Java Fern, and
Cryptocoyns. I know that Charles mentioned Cryptocorn rot, but
typically what has happened in my experience is that the outer leaves
melt down but as long as the plant is left alone to root properly and
provide the nutrients and light it needs, new leaves will grow back
fairly soon. As it is a low light plant, it makes it a good one for
your a beginner's tank in my opinion.

Any info at all will help greatly. I am trying to learn as much as

possible before actually setting this tank up. I would like to learn
about water supplements, substrate, lighting, filtration, what plant
species are neat, and other general info.

Good for you! I did and still do the same thing on this and other
boards all the time!

-Kevin