Old 15-12-2005, 01:33 AM
sockiescat sockiescat is offline
Registered User

sockiescat Stephen Henning "chris" wrote:

We have a Frazier Fur that we put up just after Thanksgiving. There is
an odor coming from the water in the stand that is very much like
vomit. I'm not kidding.

It might be caused by the sap. The nickname for true firs (all others
besides Doug Fir) is **** Fir because of the odor of the sap when you
peel the bark. As others have stated, you can use some chlorine bleach.
Also, you can use plastic wrap to seal off the area over the water to
keep the odor from coming into the room.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

your tree water has bacteria for sure from the sounds of things what i would do is take the tree down which i know would be a pain after getting it all decorated etc. but i still would do it cut about two to three good inches off of the bottom then take a wood chisel and make a deep x mark in the base of the tree so that there is an open area for the tree to take up nutrients i would then clean as much of the junk off of the bark area as u can that still has any sign of either mold scum or whatever.
then i would reset up your tree then do as this link says
http://www.mintergardens.com/Newsletter%20December.htm
and hopefully u will have good luck with your christmas tree.
my dad also would give the christmas tree some sugar water every few days in order to keep the sap levels of the tree up it helped to stop the needles from dropping and once a week he would give the tree a couple of asprins. the one thing that i did forget to mention is that with the sugar water and aspirins u have to be careful because with some trees it can make them dry out faster i know we used this with spruce trees.
good luck, sockiescat