Old 14-12-2005, 11:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default Who We Are revisited

It's been about a year since we have all introduced ourselves to each other
here on rgo, and I know we have newcomers (including new regulars) since
then.

If you are a newcomers, or if you did not respond the last time, or if your
answers to "What do I grow?" or "Where do I grow?" or "biggest orchid
accomplishments" have changed quite a bit in the meantime, please please
respond!

Even if you have responded before, here are a few reasons for you to reply
again: newcomers may not know you yet, not everyone searches the archives
and even if they did this kind of thread is not as easy to find since the
title contains only common search words and newcomers won't know which terms
to use to search for this.

In November 2001 Kye posted a message containing a set of questions to
encourage fellow rgo'ers to introduce themselves. I think that this is worth
doing on a regular basis. So here are Kye's questions with my revised
answers:
-- Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Joanna, pregnant female. :-) The baby's gender will be male, and his name
shall be Robert. Only 3 more weeks till the anticipated delivery date -- and
time has started to move very slowly now.

-- Where am I? Where do I grow?

Fairfax, Virginia (Washington DC area, USA). Windowsill and shelves of a
condo (shaded eastern and northern exposures with supplemental grow
lights). The ground floor condo we moved to this summer provides very high
humidity (earlier this year it was 60-90%, now that the heat is on it is
down to 'only' 40-80%).

-- What do I grow?

32 Phals/Dtps, 9 Paphs, 2 miniature cattleyas, 1 cochleanthes amazonica, 1
Phrag, 1 Burrageara and 1 Psychopsis.

47 orchids total, 21 of these were acquired in 2004, and 16 of them are 2005
acquisitions.

-- The decade of my age?

3rd.

-- How long have I been growing orchids?

Started in April or May 2001 with an orchid that was a wedding present, and
was
decapitated accidentally with the window blinds a week later, and so I
acquired a second to be able to truthfully say "yes, the orchid is doing
beautifully" on the phone to the gift-giver of the first one. 3.5 years
later, both of these orchids are doing well, and are both in double spike at
this time.

-- My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

Spikes, spikes, spikes! Most of my orchids are doing very well, many are in
spike, and quite a few in multiple spike (4 spikes on one of the Phals), and
I've had 5 Phal keikis thus far. In 4.5 years of growing orchids, I have
killed
only one so far -- though I anticipate that a few more may die next year
unfortunately, a few are not doing well, and with the baby I will probably
neglect them more, so only the sturdy ones will continue to do well. Since
many of them are sturdy Phals though, I hope that most of them will be ok
even with benign neglect.

-- Miscellaneous Info...

I am originally from Poland, and then Austria, but I have lived half my life
in the US. I work as a Web developer (kind of, although by now my job seems
to have shifted more toward tester -- Quality Control being really
important,
and me being very thorough and detail-oriented by nature). I am married to
David, who is a very considerate orchid addict's spouse, and a very
considerate spouse of a pregnant woman too. I think he will make a very good
father. I will need to start thinking about child-proofing my orchid
collection in time before the little guy becomes mobile.

Best,
Joanna