Old 15-12-2005, 02:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Of interest to someone :-))

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Rupert wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote in message

[...]
I occasionally want a scythe. Can they still be bought?

Yes same place as secateurs-Lowes or Home Depot. Until it arrives

you
will have to snip with your secateurs.
http://www.thescytheshop.co.uk/price%20list.html

That's a lot cheaper than the one I found (though still quite a bill
for occasional use): worth following up, I'd say. Not the easiest
tool to use, of course.

I was taught to use one by the school gardener when I was thirteen.
Perry, (for it was he) used to cut the town's bowling green with a
scythe, and wouldn't let a mower near it.

Some years ago I cut a five acre field of grass for hay, and later in
the year, a seven acre field of barley with a scythe, bound the sheathes
by hand, shucked it, threshed it with a flail and then turned it to
coarse meal for the goats in a hammer mill. Built a straw stack and
thatched it with - er - a sheet of polythene...

That year I just couldn't afford even the red diesel to run my Power Major...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig