Old 11-02-2003, 12:51 AM
Neil Trotter

Default Soil warming

In article , Rod said:

"david" wrote in message ...
I want to run 3 soil warming cables from the same Thermostat. My question
is
...should I link them in series or in Parallel?

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

If they're 240 V cables then parallel. Just check the toal load is within the rating of your thermostat.
thermostat will probably say for switching 'x' amps.
Cables may say 'x' watts. so you may have to calculate the amps, for your purposes Watts = volts x amps is near enough.

Watts = Volts x Amps is exactly right, or at least it was when I took
physics :-). W = IV

So to calculate Amps (current), Amps = Watts / Volts.

e.g. a gas-guzzling 3KW electric bar heater at 240V will be rated

3000 / 240 = 12.5A

HTH,

--Neil.

--