Old 15-12-2005, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Gail Futoran

Default General questions about freshwater plants

"KStringer" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am going to set up a plant tank ... or at least a tank with as many

plants as possible. I would like to keep a few fish in it to produce
some nitrates for the plants. What fish are plant friendly? (I was
thinking about some neon terta, a beta, and maybe some of the aquatic
frogs ... not sure what the real name for them are, but they are small
and spend 100% of their time under water. I also would like to know
what scavenger I can get for the bottom that will get the extra/hidden
fish food at the bottom of the tank.)

Don't get the dwaf african clawed frogs. They are great, but should be
kept in a species only tank as they cannot compete with other fish very
well for food unless you are planning on feeding live food every other
day or so.

African Dwarf Frogs (not clawed) do quite well
in my 30 gallon-long community aquarium with 4
Bronze Cories, 3 pygmy Cories, 3 Kuhli loaches,
4 Bloodfin tetras, 5-6 Otocinclus. They get
speciality frog food several times a week (HBH
frog & tadpole bites), otherwise they appear to
enjoy and thrive on the same kind of food I feed
everyone else - a variety of flake food, sinking
pellets and the occasional frozen bloodworms
or frozen brine shrimp.

My tank is planted and the frogs do not bother
the plants. Sometimes they'll perch on the plants,
which is cute. If I had room I would get more.

[snip - no objections to the rest of the advice]

Gail