Old 15-12-2005, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

Default Holboellia fruits

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
My son and daughter in law are visiting us and have brought with them from
Jersey a couple of Holboellia fruits. Ray had learned from their gardener
that he was just chucking them away! These large pink 'sausages' have
given us some lovely black seeds that Ray has rinsed of their pulp and

will
be planting this morning. Fingers crossed!
These plants have never fruited with us, not even the one growing in one

of
the glasshouses, so we're quite excited to see these - what an

extraordinary
difference that slightly milder climate makes to gardening!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Like you I never get fruit on my Holboellia's We have two forms of
H.latifolia (I think) and I have recently got hold of H. coricacea (again I
think!) its leaves are certainly markedly different being twice as long and
half as wide but I shall have to wait for the flowers to know whether I have
it right this time.
I am presently trying one on a north facing wall with no sun to see if I can
get it to flower later in hopefully warmer weather and therefore get fruit
set (which is supposed to be edible) but it probebly wont flower at all -
such is life :~)Akebia is another edible fruit plant that never sets fruit
with me allthough it flowers profusely every year.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk