Old 16-12-2005, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
John Varigos

Default Who We Are revisited

My responses to Kye's questions:
-- Who am I and What Is My Gender?

John Varigos - male of course - wife (Barbara) and two boys who are
definitely not interested in growing orchids and who humour me my obsession!
Photo over on ABPO.

-- Where am I? Where do I grow?

I live in an inner suburb of Melbourne, Australia, where the winters are
reasonably mild (definitely no snow and a very occassional mild frost)
allowing for outdoor growing of cool tolerant orchids but the summers can be
a real beast with temperatures on some days over 40°C with less than 10%
humidity. Challenging growing conditions. I have a small heated glasshouse
[3m X 3m - min 14°C] and a similar size shade house covered in 50% shade
cloth. I have finally negotiated with my wife to install a larger
glasshouse which will more than double my area under glass. This will be
installed in Autumn (March April next year). Can't wait - orchid growers
nirvana - more space!!

-- What do I grow?

I am totally into species and have a mixed collection of about 500 from all
continents except Europe and Nth America. I do have a leaning to the
African/Madagascan species, Australian epiphytes and Dendrobiums especially
New Guinea ones. Since my trip to Sicily and several field trips around
Australia, I have also developed an interest in terrestrials and have
recently started trying to grow Australian ones.

-- The decade of my age?

5rd.

-- How long have I been growing orchids?

I started growing orchids nearly 30 years ago when my wife took me to an
orchid show at a local shopping centre. She still rues the day.

-- My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

Probably getting a Maxillaria sophronitis to flower after 23 years. Bought
as a seedling, the plant has grown magnificently such that I now have two
mounts covered in growth - but no flowers. Three years ago after many years
of frustration I told it (yes I talk to my orchids) that if it didn't flower
this year it I would get rid of it. Several weeks later I noticed a splash
of red and found a solitary flower. It had met my challenge. Each year
since it has had more flowers - just a late maturer I guess.

-- Miscellaneous Info...

I am a novice orchid photographer and really enjoy looking for orchids in
situ. One of my life's highlights was a trip earlier this year with several
mates to Borneo. There is nothing like seeing orchids in their native
habitat. We are currently planning another trip for 2006, this time to
Thailand, Laos and Borneo (can't wait to get back).

I am pharmacologist and to pay for my excesses I have worked in the
Pharmaceutical industry most of my life. I also have an academic
appointment at Monash Uni Dept of Medicine. My area of expertise is
coordinating large cardiovascular clinical trials. I also love my one year
old chocolate Labrador, Baci.

Cheers

John

--