Old 15-12-2005, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Klara

Default No Visitors

In message , Kate
writes
I do see small flocks of birds flying over our garden, but that`s all
they do : fly over. Maybe they can`t see the feeders as they are under
the arch, though they should be able to see the bird tables. They seem
to be heading for a garden down the road, but as we live in a bungalow,
I am unable to rubberneck from a upstairs window to see what is so
attractive about it!

It's been very quiet here too: from two tubes of sunflower seeds a day
in Spring, with lots of greenfinches along with the usual crowd and even
a few starlings and sparrows, which we hadn't seen in years, we're down
to perhaps a half. There are still some tits, and the usual ring-necked
doves and woodpigeons, but not a sign for months now of the many
greenfinches, no sparrows or starlings, no wrens (lots last winter), or
my favourites, the long-tailed tits (again lots last winter); I haven't
seen the great spotted woodpecker (mother with baby last summer); only
the occasional sighting of the regular to the bird bath, the song thrush
(daily a summer ago, including mum making baby have a bath!).
I put it down to the daily dawn avian sacrifice of a virgin (or
otherwise) to the great god sparrowhawk...
--
Klara, Gatwick basin