Old 15-12-2005, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Oh for Tesco's sprouts

"Trevor" wrote in message
om...
I have to agree with my wife. My home grown sprouts taste dreadful compared
with Tesco's. Sprouts are my favourite veg, but not these. Where can I have
gone wrong?

Sprouts are the only veg I ever grow non organically. I find I have to
give the caterpillars a blast in July otherwise when we get back from hols
there'll be none left.

Veg gardening is not my forte-but this year I grew tomatoes, onions and
cucumbers in the garden.
It was *not* my idea.
My partner , the same one that will pick big bunches of flowers from the
garden although they have taken years to bloom,bought one of those packets
of various seeds and insisted that I plant them.
Results: -- Not bad really. Cucumber about the size of a sausage but tasted
just like cucumber.

Tomatoes --excellent yield and tasted of buga all.

Onions---Well, they made something the size of marbles (you lot call them
sets) and it was decided that these were worth noshing. Disgusting .

I will stick to flowers and other things and gladly buy veggie stuff
elsewhere.
I really admire the veggie growers who put their skill on the line.
No one ever knows that the bloom on my delphiniums is not really that good.