Old 16-12-2005, 03:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
John Wheeler

Default Christmas tree problem... HELP!

The important thing to remember is this is a cut tree (e.g., dead, or
dying), so discussions of how bad chlorine may be for living things is
irrelevant. The chlorine kills the bacteria. Florists put chlorine in the
water of flower arrangements to keep them fresher longer, because it kills
the bacteria, not the already dead flowers. A little chlorine in a
Christmas tree stand doesn't hurt, and usually helps.
_________________
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7

"Tex John" wrote in message
et...
Nope...used to work for a forestry company. Pine trees especially like a
trace amount of copper of all things -- not that I'd throw a penny in the
water...or maybe I should!

Point was, chlorine is a natural chemical the tree is used to and a bit
more
won't hurt it. Too much would be toxic but I guess in this case that would
just mean that it died faster.

The original poster asked for ideas, not a treatise on a particular
methodology; hence the simplified answer.

High school sophmore, even!

John
Who is staying warm in Houston! When he isn't carrying Christmas trees out
to people's cars and answering questions like this one during a cold
front...

"Gideon" wrote in message
John wrote:
A bit of bleach won't hurt -- plants need trace amounts of chlorine
anyway...notice your sink water hasn't killed anything lately!

So, you will drink Clorox because you have noticed
that sink water hasn't killed anything lately?

Your premise that bleach is called for in this case may
be correct, but the logic upon which you base your opinion
is sophomoric at best.