Old 16-12-2005, 04:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Aloe Help

I been growing aloe vera in containers for years.. I live in SW
Virginia.. I always plant them in a clay pots with an all purpose soil
that drains well..
In the winter time you need to put them by the window that gets the
most sun (high light)... It needs at least a half a day but will adapt
to less..
I set my plants outside in the spring two weeks after the last frost
and water as need..
Be sure not to leave in standing water and let soil dry completely
before watering again...
Best temperatures are 70* days and 50* nights.. Be sure to that the
frost doesn't get to it in the fall
The plant will eventually grow sprouts (offsets) and should fill out
the whole container.. When I transplant, I just pull of small sprouts
(offsets) with roots and transplant in small clay pots.. One
good size aloe can make many plants in a small time under proper
conditions.. The most common problem is overwatering because it causes
the plant to rot.. Aloe plants are like a cactus
It's ok to lightly fertilize in the late summer/ fall..
The leaves may be plain green, variegated, or spotted with white or
gray... The leaves will turn a brownish color if left out in full sun,
during the summer, (8hrs of full sun)... if that happens just relocate
the plant to another location with less full sun.. Sometimes in bright
light plants may produce spikes of orange, yellow, or red fowers in the
fall to winter... Plants can grow 2 ft tall and have thick leaves,
(sometimes 3'' wide) filled with gel-like juice
Aloe will grow if neglected...