Old 16-12-2005, 08:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
presley

Default Forcing Amaryllis Bulk in Water?

You can use that method if you only want to enjoy the amaryllis one year,
although I agree that the water should be only towards the bottom of the
bulb, not towards the top. But why not force it in a way that will allow you
to enjoy it for several years? Put some potting soil with a little
fertilizer in that vase/pot and set the amaryllis in it so that the top 1/3
of the bulb is sticking out of the soil. Moisten the soil a bit if nothing
is coming out of the bulb yet, and leave it be until you see foliage
emerging. If foliage or bloom stalk is already emerging, water more
thoroughly , about once a week. When the bulb has finished blooming, put the
pot in a sunny window where the leaves can get good light on them, and once
frost is over, set the pot outside in part shade , somewhere that the
sprinkler reaches. Leave them there until fall and the first frosts. Let
them dry out a bit until the foliage yellows. Let them sit in the pot in a
cool dark place for 6 weeks or so, then take them out into a warmer area,
moisten the soil again, or repot, and you'll have blooms again next year.
wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I am completely new to gardening and amaryllis, so please my
question might be naive for most of you here. I have been given this
amaryllis, a glass container, and some polished river rocks by my
friend. I was told to put the river rocks in the glass and the
amaryllis bulk on top of the rocks, then put water in to emerge about
1/4 of the bulk in water. I guess that's all that I need to do and
expect the amaryllis to grow.

As I said, I am bland new to planting any plant, and I want to make
sure I am doing it right. I would really appeciate if anyone can tell
me if I am doing everything necessary. Thanks a lot!

Mike