Old 16-12-2005, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay Easton

Default Oh for Tesco's sprouts

In message , Rupert
writes
Veg gardening is not my forte-but this year I grew tomatoes, onions and
cucumbers in the garden.
It was *not* my idea.
My partner , the same one that will pick big bunches of flowers from the
garden although they have taken years to bloom,bought one of those packets
of various seeds and insisted that I plant them.
Results: -- Not bad really. Cucumber about the size of a sausage but tasted
just like cucumber.

Tomatoes --excellent yield and tasted of buga all.

Onions---Well, they made something the size of marbles (you lot call them
sets) and it was decided that these were worth noshing. Disgusting .

I will stick to flowers and other things and gladly buy veggie stuff
elsewhere.
I really admire the veggie growers who put their skill on the line.
No one ever knows that the bloom on my delphiniums is not really that good.

Try fruit. Perennials are easier and a lot more forgiving ;-)

Most things need an annual prune. But you're not growing at such an
intensive pace, so if your garden soil is reasonably fertile, you don't
need to worry about fertiliser, it's easier to avoid pesticides, and you
can grow varieties and flavours that you can't get in the shops.

And whereas it is now possible to buy good quality vegetables not too
expensively, that's not quite so true of fruit.
--
Kay Easton