Old 16-12-2005, 04:14 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gail Futoran

Default Relocating fish from a pond

"The Space Boss" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello there,
I'm wondering how you would go about relocating fish from a pond
that is being removed or replaced? Is there anybody you could call who
would help you strain them out and relocate them to a new home? And how
would you go about it? I imagine you would drain the pond within a few
inches and then just strain them into a container? What would you do?
Have you ever thought about this?

Thanks!

How many fish?
What kind?
What size pond?

A lot of people with ponds in northern areas
move fish inside every winter. From what I've
read, they have something set up inside that
provides a temporary home for the winter months.

Catching fish depends on questions above.
Anyone reasonably competent with a net
should be able to catch fish, unless the fish
are full-sized koi. (I'm guessing that's more
of an expert's job.) You might call around
to hobby fish stores, botanical garden, even
a local zoo for advice/hiring someone to help.

Temporary holding tanks can be Rubbermaid
(or similar manufacturers) plastic containers
NEW (so there's nothing toxic to fish in them),
using pond water and/or treated tap (whatever
your fish are used to). If they're going to be
in there for very long, you should add filtration.

Gail