Old 16-12-2005, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default gates.

On 16/12/05 11:32 am, in article , "Kay
Easton" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes

I think most people here think as I do - that *everyone*, including total
novice gardeners has something to contribute to this group.

snip

I agree with all of that. I have been pondering over the last couple of
weeks whether it's time to just duck out of urg. No loss to urg - other
people here know more about every one of the topics I post on. The only
loss is to me, in terms of the sheer amount that I learn from here, but
I am beginning to wonder whether the price is worth it. I shall continue
for a while, but I can't see myself being here much longer. OK, it's
giving in to the bullies who are trying to disrupt the group and drive
away long-term posters, but I don't have to take on every battle that
the world offers me.

I do so much hope you won't go Kay. You have an enormous amount to give
this group in terms of experience and knowledge and we've lost too many good
people already. You may have noticed that the ruder and more unpleasant
posters are, mostly, being ignored by the rest and I think that's the best
way to play it. Read those you enjoy, or the threads that interest you and
blank out the rest - cyberswat them like mozzies! I'm very disturbed that
I've had one or two or three or four 'chats' with some of the best people
here who are getting very close to leaving for good. Some have already
taken long breaks. If that does happen, urg will have nobody left who can
be of genuine help to new gardeners, or indeed, to each other! I don't think
one boring troll or other or a couple of over-inflated egos should be
allowed to drown out all those who really do make urg what it was and can be
again, I hope.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk