Old 16-12-2005, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Default semi mature trees

Mike Lyle wrote:

(snip)

I'm just about to have a thuja cut down for being totally bear to about
2m high. It's my neighbour and it's a deal we've got with the pruning
of my holly. (Decided to keep the eucalyptus and cross our fingers for
foundation problems etc... no I don't want to talk about it).

Flea's suggestion of Quercus ilex is good, too. I don't know how they
respond to being cut into old wood, though -- if they don't like it,
you'll have a problem starting a hedge with ten-foot plants.

The thing is that they don't need any pruning in a life time at least,
so it's the grand children's problem )