Old 16-12-2005, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bruce

Default wood ash on veg plot

H Ryder wrote:
I'm just digging our vegetable patch over and intend to grow: potatoes;
beans etc; brassicas and roots in 4 quarters next year. We have an open fire
which we use fire lighters to light but then just burn wood on. Can I put
the ash onto the veg garden (or any other part of the garden) and if so
which of the 4 quarters can ~I put it onto. Thanks in advance,

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Many gardeners recommend it highly for onions and garlic. An article
this year in Kitchen Garden by an Italian gentleman growing garlic said
all his bonfire waste went here. It is not strong as a potash fertiliser
or alkanine additive so you can actually add quite a lot. I have heard
of 1/2" depth on a bed. It will also condition a sticky clay soil, help
keep slugs off and is generally a good soil additive. Potash is not just
good for flowers but also fruit and root veg. I don't waste any of mine.