Old 16-12-2005, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Anyone know the rose Mme Alfred Carriere? Other climbersuggestions?

On 16/12/05 10:37 pm, in article
, "VX"
wrote:

snip
Suggestions for any other climbers would be great if anyone has any. It needs
to be vigourous, grow about 4m high and 3m wide or more, have thorns, not
mind less than 4 hours sun per day, have some scent (the more the better),
preferably be a repeat flowerer and be a quiet colour- ie no reds or oranges;
white, pale pink etc would be fine. Oh and an easy to grow disease-resistant
plant would be handy too!

We grow Mde Isaac Pereire here, on a trellis. It's a bright pink (which
isn't in your job description) and is the most highly scented rose I've ever
encountered, a true knock out. It's not repeat flowering but it is very
thorny. But contacting e.g. David Austin or Peter Beale roses for advice
would be a good idea for you, I think. As to disease resistant, I'm no
rose expert but I understand that Portland roses are supposed to be best for
that and I believe Beale deals with that issue.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk