Old 17-12-2005, 02:29 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jim Marrs

Default Winter preparations

I usually use Crimson clover. It does not grow back and does a decent job of
keeping the soil loose.

Jim

"Latosha Washington" wrote in message
I like cypress mulch. I've always disliked clover as it can become
invasive.

"Jim Marrs" wrote in message
I have just cleaned up most of my raised beds from the summer/fall season.
I may have been a little tardy but I have been very busy. I am considering
laying a layer of compost on my beds now. I am wondering if others have a
successful strategy in winterizing garden beds for a Central Texas winter.
In the past I have planted clover and other cover crops but I can't say
that I have observed any real difference in performance come spring.